Dried fruits hold the rare combination of being both healthy and tasty. They will boost your body with energy and nutrients and should become your favorite snack. Here are 10 reasons for you to relax and enjoy the fruits of nature:
- Dried fruits retain most of the nutritional value of fresh fruits. This is why they are recommended by most health departments around the world.
- Dried fruits will nourish your body with essential nutrients such as vitamins, dietary minerals, fatty acids (EFAs) and amino acids. Our body is unable to produce these nutrients and they are essential for maintaining good health.
- Fibrous dried fruits, like dates and prunes, help strengthening the uterus muscles. Strong uterus muscles will help you in the delivery process and may reduce the bleeding after it.
- Dried fruits have low values of sodium, making them the best snack ever!
- Dried fruits are in the top 5 contributors of dietary fiber and potassium. Potassium is responsible for electrolyte balance in your body. Since your body volume expands by up to 50% while pregnant, you need more electrolytes to keep your fluids in chemical balance.
- Dried fruits are acting as a laxative and will help you to prevent constipation. The dietary fibers found in them will help you reduce pregnant “gassiness”.
- Iron, vitamin K, calcium and copper – nutrients rarely found in today’s normal diet – are all present in dried fruits. Boron, a key element responsible for the growth and maintenance of bones and joints, is found in raisins.
- Eating dried fruits will help you in keeping your body weight. An analysis made by NHANES between the years 1999 – 2004 showed that diets high in dried fruits may lead to lower body mass index (BMI).
- Unlike the popular perception that dried fruits promote cavities, recent studies show that they may actually promote healthy teeth and gums. Bioactive compounds found in dry fruits will fight the bacteria responsible for gum disease. It has nothing to do with pregnancy, but wouldn’t you want your baby to have a mom with beautiful teeth?
- Dried fruits’ high nutritional value and their fabulous taste are the reason for their popularity. But more than that, they are relatively cheap, easy to store and keep for a very, very long time.
To maximize the benefits you get from these wonderful treats, try buying only organic or even dry them yourself. That way you will prevent consuming unnecessary sugar and colorings, usually added to commercial dried fruits.